Photo courtesy of Ashley Hall Photography.
You and your fiancé have just sat down to discuss wedding plans. You feel butterflies in your stomach as you look once more at the engagement ring on your finger.
The time to plan your special day has finally come!
Both of you look down at a blank piece of paper—eyes glimmering and hopes high. Then, you look back at each other.
How do we make the best day of our lives meaningful, but budget friendly?
Here are ten tips to get you started:
- Limit your guest count to the people who matter most to both of you. Do not feel guilty about not inviting coworkers or acquaintances! A wedding is an intimate celebration—you do not need to invite everybody.
- Have a morning/early afternoon reception so you can provide your guests with a catered brunch and/or nice finger foods as opposed to a plated dinner. Also, utilize high-end paper and plastic ware as opposed to china.
- Buy your wedding dress on sale at a boutique, or from a discounted retailer. We highly recommend Church Street Bridal, which sells donated, designer dresses for a maximum of $800. All proceeds go to providing aid to abused women’s shelters.
- Have your bridal party do each other’s makeup/hair!
- Celebrate your special day on a Sunday, or on a weekday, and utilize the low season months. We offer great packages for a Sunday/weekday wedding at the manor and the barn during high and low season.
- Choose to have a dry wedding, or a limited bar (beer, wine, and a signature cocktail).
- Use non-perishable centerpieces that speak to your life and what you love (i.e. photos of you and your fiancé in different stages of your relationship), or repurpose the bridesmaids’ bouquets as centerpieces.
- Have a small wedding cake for the cutting ceremony, and then serve slices from sheet cakes to the guests.
- Get together with some friends and loved ones and bake cookies for wedding favors! Guests LOVE cookies to munch on at a wedding, or to take home with them.
- Lastly, but importantly, hire a wedding planner who knows how to guide you in the most cost-effective decisions. Our wedding planners value what is important to you, and will shoulder the stress of the numerous wedding details. Additionally, they will show you how to invest your budget wisely so you can have the best day of your lives.